Saturday 8 September 2012

Four Years in a Row - Semi-finalist in the JKGLA

I just received an email from Jenny Phillips, of the John Kenneth Galbraith Literary Award (www.johnkennethgalbraithliteraryaward.ca) informing me, and other writers, that our stories have advanced to the semi-finals. Apparently that includes writers from all across the country, from British Columbia to Newfoundland and Labrador. At the bottom of her email Jenny wrote: "A special Congrats to Chuck Lovatt for both of his semi-final entries . . .Well Done Again Chuck! I" I thought that was awfully nice of her.

To explain: I had entered two stories this year. Both have advanced, which is another first for me in 2012.    Earlier, in Voices, two of my submissions had been accepted for that magazine's Fall issue, but this is the first time that two of my stories have advanced in a competition. *

Now we wait until sometime in October, prior to the 15th (Galbraith's birth date), to find out which three advance to the finals. Here's hoping.

By the way, this is the fourth year in a row that my work has progressed this far in the Galbraith Award. It has to be some kind of a record.


*11/09/2012: I just realized that that wasn't true. How could I forget the two short-listed stories in the April issue of Global Short Stories, from this Spring? Seriously, I must be losing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment