Friday 31 August 2012

The Adventures of Charlie Smithers - in the works

Okay, keeping secrets has never been my strong suit, so I might as well make it official...or as official as I can make it at this point, anyway.

Earlier, under 'Cautiously Optimistic', I had posted on this blog that Wild Wolf Publishing (from the UK) had asked to read the entire manuscript for my novel, The Adventures of Charlie Smithers. That was a Very Big Deal, as publishers just don't DO that unless they're seriously considering your work. I've been on pins and needles this past month, telling myself over and over that there's a big difference between 'seriously considering' and 'accepted', but it sure hasn't been easy. Then, a few days ago, I received an email from Sam Dennison at Wild Wolf, stating that he found Charlie "well-written and engaging", and offered to publish it - first as an ebook, later to be put into print, with the proviso that it sold at least 200 copies.

What followed afterward was a series of emails, back and forth, (me being a 'nervous Nellie' and Sam calmly soothing) until I was finally reassured that Wild Wolf's credentials were impeccable, that they had the best interests of my book in mind, and that I would be consulted through every stage of the process. Finally, last night, after talking it over with Amber (Heartless Editor to you) we decided to proceed, and I sent an email to Sam accepting his offer. So now I guess I wait to hear from an editor, and the real work begins.

A contract will need to be signed, somewhere along the line, too, so I'll caution you to remember that none of this is really official until that happens. One thing's for sure, I'll feel a ton better when it does.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment