Wednesday 30 December 2015

Downunder - A Review - "Enthralling, Intriguing, Spot On Mate!"

Notwithstanding that she's a good friend of mine, this review had me blushing furiously.
Thank you, Evie, your cheque's in the mail...

on December 29, 2015
I am so out of my league in the frail attempt I'm about to make on writing a review of this latest book (the third, in "The Adventures of Charlie Smithers" series) by C W Lovatt.

An extraordinary talent is Mr Lovatt.

Charlie is now in the land Downunder amidst all of us Aussie sheilas and blokes. Ha! We are a colourful mob, and he has done a smashing job of depicting our irrepressible Aussie politically incorrect outlook on life. Even then, in 1866, we were an irreverent lot, totally confusing at times, but a strong people living in a unforgivably harsh land.

C W Lovatt has captured our essence, both of the aborigines and we whiteys. We demand you acknowledge our independent nature, but don't forget to hold the door open for me gentlemen, I love that!

"Charlie! What? Are you sure your name is Charlie, Smithers? I could have sworn it was...." Lord Brampton, (our lovable bumbling fool.) He continues to have NO idea that when he attempts to save Charlie, he comes close to causing the exact opposite. Each episode will make you simultaneously cringe with apprehension and giggle at his unfailing ineptitude.

Another beautifully written story, the prose, faultless, the pidgin, delightful and the description of the land (vernacular included) 'spot on, mate!'

This time Charlie experiences spirituality he never dreamed existed and I believe that, this gives us, as readers, a deeper look at the author himself. The tale is magical, a love story, wrapped around folklore and so cleverly entwined with history, that I found it nearly impossible to differentiate fact from fiction.

"I bravely huddled as close to her as was humanly possible"

(Ha ha!) A simple line (which brings yet another smile to the lips) that unerringly explains ‘exactly’ what needed to be communicated, that our hero, Charlie, is questioning his manliness.

"All that I'd learned of gratitude was ruthlessly thrust aside, as I opted for vengeance instead".

I found this line to be… profound (for want of a better word.) Charlie chooses to push aside his fundamental nature, that being, a man who has duty as his first priority, accompanied by fairness, compassion and a strong aversion to killing.

I have always believed that words are powerful, but often, words lack the full meaning of what an author is trying to convey. We try to express emotion, but we find the words insufficient. Not so for this writer. C W Lovatt comes close to perfection when describing anything from scenery to the most simple of body motions.

I am envious (as a writer myself) of the easy flow of the story and strength of the characters.
I urge you, buy and read this fabulous piece of literature.
 
 
 
You can purchase your copy of Adventures Downunder here.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment