Saturday 31 August 2013

Charlie Smithers - Review - By An 'Ordinary Bloke'

It's impossible to express how truly gratifying it is when reading a review, and knowing without a shadow of a doubt that the person who wrote it 'got' everything I had intended. This was the case this morning when I read the following, posted on Charlie's page on Amazon.uk, by 'Ordinary Bloke'. A simple 'thank you' seems a woefully inadequate response.



1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A truly epic tale, exceptionally well written.31 Aug 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: The Adventures of Charlie Smithers (Kindle Edition)
I was attracted to this brilliantly written tale purely by the title - The Adventures of Charlie Smithers. It conjured up images of the sort of stuff I, as an English kid back in the 1960's, would read about in things such as The Boys Own, or tales of Biggles the dashing pilot. I was vaguely correct I suppose, but this was the most magnificent adventure I have ever come across. Anything Biggles, or William Brown for that matter, may have got up to in the way of adventures pales when compared with Charlie Smithers and what happened to him on his perilous, though always exciting, journey through untamed Africa. His journey is quite incredibly dangerous at times, and many times I was led to think 'surely he's a goner this time!?'. The author has written this quite amazing, yet very believable, tale with such aplomb that you cannot help - given that you get'right into it' - getting so involved in everything that happens. He has, as other reviewers have noted, done his research very well indeed and he held my attention to such an extent that my breakfast had been stood for four hours before I touched it, not being able to abandon the story for even ten minutes to eat. I was moved to genuine tears as the story reached it's conclusion, though the author skillyfully managed to ease the grieving with another charming twist. I really cannot recommend The Adventures of Charlie Smithers too highly,just buy it and read it yourself. You will surely find it one of the most engaging reads ever, whatever your particular preference, or usual choice of reading matter. This would, without any shadow of a doubt, make a magnificent film. I could easily see a modern day equivalent of Richard Harris in this. Though at times Smithers' tenderness and ability to wax lyrical would have been perfectly suited to another great of the screen, Richard Burton. I echo previous sentiments when I say I would love to read more of Charlie Smithers. To the author, very well done indeed Sir.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

No comments:

Post a Comment